Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Band, Bells or Choir... That is the question!

I had a flood load of children come to me today with the same ol', same ol'. "Mrs. Scheiderer, I don't want to be in _____ anymore! I have this to do and that to do, and I have so much homework and sports and dance and I have to sleep sometime! And I tell each and everyone the same response: 1. I don't want to lose you! You have been a valuable member of my musical groups, and each one of you contribute to the program your musical abilities and gifts! 2. It is all about time management and what you truly want to be involved in. If you truly love what ever group you are in, you will find a way to do it. I told the kids about my busy life and schedule and how my responsibilities to school come first and fun comes in second. 3. If you don't truly love it, why did it take you this long to figure it out, who is influencing your decision to switch or drop a class? Obviously if a parent has stated that you cannot be in a certain group, then that is their decision. (of course I would like to talk to them about it, and maybe it is all a misunderstanding! You never know!) and finally 4. There is a certain way to go about dropping a music class, and it is not bombarding me with excuses! :) First, your parents have to write a letter to me explaining why you chose to drop a class, second, they and you have to sign the letter, and third, Mr. Kennedy has to read the letter and approve the decision to drop. It makes a smoother transition, and we know the exact reason why that student is no longer taking a certain class.



Now: On to the day!

Advanced band met for the first time this year and they were ambushed with a lot of information and expectations! The biggest expectation this year is learning how to practice, practicing more, and to actually take their instruments home every week! They also have an incentive to practice, so ask your kids about the music store! They are also doing a fundraiser to raise money for the band program. Our ultimate goal is to raise 2000.00 to buy a tuba for the school and some more percussion instruments. Look for information on that next week. Assignment is: Hexagony- Ms 1-13 Air of Nobility Measures 1-13 Hall of the Mountain King Measures 1-10.

Beginning band listen to me explain about the changes that have been made to the 5th grade schedule this year. Because there is no 5th grade handbells, all students are asked to come to band for tomorrow only just to try out the instruments to see if they may like to join. The entire class got a note from me explaining all the changes and other things, so 5th grade parents, look for that note!

3rd grade came to me today and I pretended that I had forgotten all about what they learned last year, and that they had to help remind me what they did. They just thought I was halirious! "What do you mean you forgot how to write a sharp or a flat Mrs. S??? You are supposed to be our teacher!" This year, the 3rd grade is going to learn how to read music, treble and bass clef, that way when they go to recorders next year, we won't have to worry about that!

8th grade bells was cut short today for an assembly, but we still met and they were assigned new positions. Some were happy and some, not so much! Don't blame me! Blame the randomness of the draw! Hopefully they will grow to love their new places! They will recieve their gloves; black, velco, with dots next week, along with all their new music. Good luck to them this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment